Everybody likes to minimize or reduce energy cost of operating the air conditioning or heating ventilating systems. HVAC system energy cost occupies a significant portion of the total operating cost of commercial and residential buildings. Hence, people try to reduce it. Duct cleaning services say that there are various ways to reduce the HVAC system energy consumption. Some of the best methods have been mentioned below.
Sealing the HVAC System
In a house, about 20% of the air which moves through the ducts is lost because of holes, leaks, or even poorly connected ducts. The leakages lead to higher utility bills and also difficulty in keeping the building cool and comfortable. Irrespective of how the thermostat is set, duct cleaning service have mentioned that sealing the ductwork is the single most efficacious way to improve the energy efficiency and lower the energy cost.
It is a great way to reduce energy cost but you need to know what it involves.
- Any HVAC system that you want to seal has to be cleaned first for removing the dirt, contaminates, and debris which has accumulated on it.
- Decide on your need by testing the HVAC system for any kind of air leakage.
- Decide the sealing method that is suitable.
- For the exposed ductwork which you have access to, you can have water based foil and mastic for the back tape which is applied to the outer ductwork.
- Coat with a high solid content and also good bridging capability.
Cleaning HVAC Coils
A majority of the HVAC has coils and it gets dirty with time. The coils have to be cleaned on a regular basis to maintain energy efficiency and peak performance. The duct cleaning services believe that a clean coil will offer better thermal comfort and lower the energy cost. The dirty coil will reduce the cooling capacity and degrade the quality of the equipment. The coil cleaning procedure is as follows.
- Do a pressure drop test, across the coil for establishing the previous coil condition prior to cleaning the coil. You will notice that many neglected coils have pressure drop of 2-3 inches of the static pressure.
- All coils will have air entry and leaving side. The dirt accumulates on the side through which enters the HVAC.
- You can use the dry method to start cleaning.
- If the coil is not clean after using the dry method, you can use the wet method that includes a coil cleaning solution.
- Let the cleaning solution sit for a while and then rinse the coil fins with water till it is clean.
- Once it is clean, duct cleaning service recommends you to do another pressure drop test to check.
Cleaning the HVAC System
Cleaning air duct is the removal of the dirt that has accumulated. This generally means that everything in the stream is cleaned. The first step is to inspect the HVAC system. This way it will give you a baseline for future comparisons and indicate that a cleaning is required. Make sure that you do test before and after cleaning. Also, measure the airflow. Cleaning will help in getting rid of the obstructions from the coil. Air duct cleaning alone will improve the CFM.
The best way to reduce HVAC energy cost is to do all the three activities. Clean the HVAC, the coil, and then seal all the leaks.